Friday, February 12, 2010

It's a blur

The first 5 days in whistler has been a blur. It took a little while to feel my legs beneath me. I spent all my spare time playing with the new XDCam and getting confident with all it can do. I walked Whistler Village a number of times the first night to be totally familiar with the layout and where the venues are. The WMC (Whistler Media Centre) is home base for the duration. It is the workspace for all international media in Whistler. we have a large office with 12 workstations for our Producers, reporters and ENG Cameras. Good to see some familiar faces here. Glenn Campbell is a sports reporter from Calgary. Jermain Franklin a sports reporter for TSN Calgary. I've bumped into Bruce Jarron from Access Alberta at Alpine venue a few time already.
The workflow is a little confusing at first. Who is my assignment editor? There's 5 or so of them. What are their numbers and e-mail addresses? I haven't been given a list. Where do I get a slug (story ID) so I can start to ingest my video from the camera disc? The Alpine and Cross Country ingest stations aren't working, I've gotta make sure they get up and running somehow. I'm spending the bulk of my evening ingesting the day video. Home to my hotel at 11pm, have a beer and make a grilled cheese sandwich, collapse. Good thing were here a week early to get the bugs out. Roger Millions arrived today. He's an old friend from CFRN that's now a Sportsnet reporter. That makes ....oh 7 or 8 producer/reporters I will be working with....maybe there's more. By Friday morning things are starting to feel a little more organized. Oh, so I get an e-mail at 1130pm Wednesday night. Barry we need you in a helicopter to shoot this feature tomorrow morning at 7am. OK. I guess I have to be up at 530am. Damn I set my alarm for 430am. Oh well, so I'm up I may as well get going!

After bad weather cancelled the bulk of my feature I get a call.

"We need you to the Luge Track."

"There's been an accident."

No comments:

Post a Comment